Sunday, November 30, 2008

Some Quick Comments on Life

Really long time since I wrote a blog so this blog of quick comments is going to be flowed by a bunch of blogs.

A couple quick comments before getting down to the Nitty Gritty:

1. For all of you out there reading my blog: 1) thank you it is awesome that you spend time out of your day learning about different cultures and different people’s experiences and 2) even if I don’t know you please comment on what you like and what you want to hear more about (this way I can write more about what you want to hear about/tailor my blogs so that you like them even more).

2. I have not commented on the Election yet, but I am really excited (along with the rest of Africa) that Barak Obama is going to be the next president of the United States of America. Steve and I woke up very early that morning and watched the sun rise while we listed to BBC give live updates. I really enjoyed his speech on Election Day when he gave a shout out to all of us in the far corners of the earth huddled around radios. Everyone here in East Africa is also really excited. The day after his election all of my students were taking about him. Whenever I say I’m American people praise me for electing him. This positive reaction is awesome after all the negative comments I would hear about Bush’s America, however, it also brings concerns. Many people here now expect that Obama is going to drastically increase US aid in East Africa and expect that everything in East Africa is going to change now that he is going to be president. I think that these people have really high expectations that probably will not be met.

3. GO PATS! We can make it! I know that many of you probably hate the Patriots, but I am not a fair weather fan. Also go Eli Manning and the Giants. Eli you have been playing superbly this season, despite the fact that it takes 5 minutes to download the weekly stats off of NFL.com, I still do and yours always make me smile.

4. Thanksgiving is a huge deal in my house. In the past all of my extended relatives from both sides of my family came, in addition to several families of close friends. I want to give a shout out to all those who were able to make it this year, I hear it was quite a crowd. Mark, thank you for supporting the local football team and making it to the Thanksgiving Day Game. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is called Pie Night and each kid, now anyone under 27, is required to bake at least one pie. I want to give a shout out to all the “kids”. I hear you were able to make 11 pies this year (I don’t know who made the Chocolate Pecan Pie, my specialty, but I’m sure it was amazing). I want to give a bigger shout out to my maternal grandparents, Abe and Phyllis Margolin, and my maternal aunt, Linda Fisher. Even though I wasn’t there I know you guys were sorely missed.

5. Right now I am in Kampala waiting for Dean McEvoy to arrive from the airport and I was able to check my email for the first time in two weeks. I just found out that Engeye has been adopted by MIT’s chapter of Engineers Without Borders!!! YAY!! This is so cool and such a big deal. .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Becky,
Thank you so much for asking what we want to know!
I want to know about the culture of the people you are with. What's important to them? What do they value? Do they have interesting ways of doing things? Do they have things they celebrate, things they avoid? Interesting beliefs? I think someone said some are Muslim, some Christian. But I suspect they have some beliefs left over from earlier times, prior to Islam & Christianity, and I wonder what these beliefs are and how they tie in with their more modern religion.
I hear you about the women; that's not much different! But what are the men doing? And how are they viewed?Are the women valued in any way? Eg., in some cultures they are spiritual leaders.
Do they have interesting rituals or arts? Music (what instruments?),dance??
Stephen said they all wear western clothing. Doesn't anybody ever wear whatever they wore before western clothes were brought in?

How is the family viewed? Is there divorce? Do young people "date"? What rules are there about the behavior of young people? And older people? What are their social rules? (Aside from long visits! I'm so sorry about that problem you had!)

How do they relax and have fun?

Anything you can tell me about their culture will be interesting.

I'm so glad there are more women there, and that women's needs will be addressed.

And the engineers! Will they repair the pump for the well?

Take care, and thanks so much for what you share. I know it's hard to get time for this, and we all appreciate it.
Chris