Monday, October 13, 2008

Wish List and Contact Information

Many of you have asked if you can send me a package. Of course you can. Here is a wish list consisting of things that would be really useful while teaching at the primary school or teaching the morning program Steve and I have started. For the morning program Steve and I have decided to invite about thirty local children to come to the clinic from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. The children are between 2 and 7 and none of them attend school. During these hours we work on writing, numbers, and letters. We also plan to give out multi-vitamins and peanut butter(that we make from peanuts we plant!!!) in order to combat malnutrition.

Wish List:

  • Children's Chewable Multi-Vitamins(We can not get these in Uganda)
  • Arts and Crafts Supplies (pipe cleaners, string, construction paper, etc.)
  • World Map
  • Puzzles (very simple)
  • Children's Books
  • Flash Cards with the Letter and Numbers on Them
  • Cream of Tartar (to make play dough)
  • Dodge Balls
  • Dollar Tree Stuff
  • Educational Coloring Books

Personal Wish List:

  • ReaLemon that fake lemon juice they sell in supermarkets. I love to put it on Avocados. Avocados are really cheap here and I eat them all the time, but I really miss being able to put ReaLemon on them.

Steve and I have purchased a Ugandan sim card and put it in John's old phone. It is free for us if you call us and it's only 15 cents a minute if you use skype. We leave the phone on every night from 8:00am to 3:00pm Eastern Standard Time. The phone number is 011-256-779-175-450.

6 comments:

Misty said...

Becky!

The peanut butter and vitamin distribution project sounds AMAZING. If you get a chance, please check out these sites:

1.)http://mednews.wustl.edu/news/page/normal/10033.html

2.) www.projectpeanutbutter.org

This tells you all about the Peanut Butter Project, which is something we really want to implement ASAP at Engeye. We are currently applying for a grant that would potentially fund this project (need money to import machinery, sugar, and the other ingredients that go into the nutrient-fortified peanut butter mixture).

Very cool! You and Steve are my heroes!

Be safe ;)

Anonymous said...

Dear Becky:
Megan and I are getting started on a school-supply drive. Will get the vitamins, too. A parent-teacher store near my house will have coloring books.
Best,
Anastasia

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,

You are the Best! Thanks so much for your great advice and all the wonderful things you're doing with the kids. I'll put something together and send it out. Love, Linda

McCurdy_Miller said...

Hey there,

We sent a package to you on September 6 and we are wondering if you got it. We want to start another box for you but we want to know what the best type of package to send it in. Your parents' package was Global Priority and you got it and we used Airmail. Did you get our package and was it easier to get one type or the other so that we know what to send all of the good things you need now in?

Thanks! Love you!
McCurdy

Unknown said...

Hey you!
My mom and I want to send you stuff and I didn't know if there was something you needed more of than others...I don't want you to end up with 100s of one thing and none something else. So let me know somehow (the blog, maybe?) if you need something in particular. Did you get my letter yet? I'm going to send you a new one when I send you the package.

I miss you!

Love,
your partner in crime

Unknown said...

Steve
I finally did a full read of the blog and I am impressed and proud of your work. I will be putting together a box based on the wishlist, is there anything I can send you personally? Got your letter, I've written two to you, but haven't sent either yet... Hope all is well,

Love

Ben